What is Rightsizing? 5 Tips for 2022
With a lot of talk about downsizing these days, along comes a new term that adds a little different twist; Rightsizing! What exactly is rightsizing? It’s basically the same as downsizing except we feel better using the term. Here are five great tips for rightsizing in 2022:
· Plan Ahead – The last thing we need to do is add one more thing to our annual New Years’ Resolutions, so planning ahead to rightsize will help to avoid yet more thing on the resolution list. If we start thinking today about how we can right size our lives in 2022, then we can begin the tedious task of sorting through the various aspects of what a right size is all about.
· Back To The Future – Picture yourself two to five years from now. What will your world look like? Will you be retiring? Will you be changing jobs? Will you be simplifying your life? Do you anticipate having considerably more money? What are your health issues? How will the Covid crisis affect my life?
These questions will help you decide what actions need to be taken to adjust your lifestyle to be “right” for you in the coming years. All too often we leave planning for the future, at least how or where we live to the last minute and we spend considerably more time and money to adjust in our home environments, then we would have if we had planned accordingly.
· When In Doubt, Throw It Out – This is my most favorite phrase, when it comes to rightsizing. To make your future easier and for it to “fit” your lifestyle, you will need to decide what to keep and what to not keep. My rule of thumb is this: Once you decide what you want, want you can donate, what you can give to family, if you’re left with the thought, “what do I do with this?” that’s when you throw it out. We sometimes hang onto things that we know nobody will want just because we cannot bear to throw it out. In the end, it’s OK to just throw some things out.
· Recycle, Repurpose, Revive – Donating things is a great way to get rid of something you won’t need in your right sizing journey into your new home. Many people will purchase something because the money is being donated, just to keep that item in use. These items may have ended up in the landfill, but for the ability to say someone gave to charity. Reviving something of little use can be very satisfying.
· Relax - When you begin planning to rightsize, take a deep breath and relax. There are many, many companies who can help you through the process. Realtors, home organizers, succession planners, law firms and many other groups now have dedicated landing pages in their websites which will help in your right sizing plans.
William C Huff Companies has been rightsizing (we call it downsizing) families for many years. We have many blogs, landing pages and tips to assist homeowners with any life changing events. We look forward to working with homeowners who need assistance in their right-sizing plans.