Moving from New York to Florida can be a stressful task. Deciding what to take and what to leave behind is a daunting process that many homeowners put off until the last minute, only to have even more stress on move day. Here are 5 quick tips to help you when you consider your move from New York to Florida.
- DOWNSIZE This means you need to sort everything and decide what will actually fit in the new house. Just because you may be moving to a bigger house, it does not mean you should bring everything you have in New York. Florida has not only a different climate, it has different styles for decorating. Bringing dark, old mahogany furniture to the “Sunshine State, where modern and contemporary, light colors are in style, is a waste of money and time.
- WHAT IS THE NEIGHBORHOOD LIKE? Many New Yorkers are very comfortable with the friends and families who surround them in New York. Moving a great distance away can prove to be very lonely when there is a loss of connection to the support of friends and family. Choosing o move into a neighborhood in Florida where there are other New Yorkers will help in making the transition to Florida easier. Our company has moved families to Florida from New York, only to move them back a few years later because they were “lonely” without their fellow New Yorkers around them.
- DON’T FORGET TO BRING YOUR SWEATERS Many New Yorkers think of Florida as always sunny and warm but, that is not always the case. Central Florida can have temperatures that dip into the 40’s at night and may not get above the 50’s, in the winter months. Still warmer than New York in the winter (and never any snow) but, you will need a sweater or two to have for those chilly days.
- GET GOOD DOCTOR REFERRALS With so many doctor specialists available in New York it is sometimes an oversite to think that there will be the same type of doctors available in Florida. Taking some time to have your current doctors make some referrals before you move to Florida, will save a lot of frustration upon arriving in Florida. The population of Florida is growing so rapidly it can even be difficult to get a regular doctors’ appointment, without a direct referral from your existing New York doctors.
- CHOSE A REPUTABLE MOVING COMPANY After due diligence of “downsizing” and, deciding to only bring things which fit in the new décor, you will be left with mostly personal items that have sentimental value and/or art/collectable pieces that you want to bring with you to your new Florida home. Choosing the wrong moving company can result in disaster for your irreplaceable family pieces. Lost items and damage are very, very common with most cross country moving companies. Here’s a few tips for finding the right moving company for your move from New York to Florida:
- How long have they been in business?
- Have they been highly referred by someone you trust?
- Do they have a physical address?
- Are their reviews “fake”?
- Does the price seem too good to be true?
Companies in business for many years generally have a good reputation. Highly referred by someone you trust means they must have done a good job for someone. Having a warehouse that can be inspected tells a lot about who you are hiring and how much they take care of their own facility and vehicles. Almost all positive reviews on the internet are “fake”; written by a third party to cover up all the true reviews which are mostly bad. And, finally, if it is a great price, don’t even think of using the company for moving from New York to Florida move. Every horror story you have heard will come true if you choose the “cheap, flat rate” company.