Be The Difference You Want To See In 2019
Every year millions of people make New Years’ resolutions. Going on a diet is the number one resolution Americans make…most of which are not kept. Maybe a resolution to not have a resolution would be good. Or, here’s another idea…let’s resolve to do something that really makes an impact on the world around us. As we enter 2019 I believe most of us have pretty much had it with “status quo” business, political, socio-economic and environmental practices. If you are like me, it just becomes more of the same…”Blah, blah, blah”. And, nothing really every changes that much. If anything, it seems that much of what we experience is getting worse. Many of those around me know that I really have not ever been much of a “in the box” person. In fact, I have built a business around being different. Also, I have a penchant for telling stories. Which reminds me… Going into our second year with owning William C Huff Company, we were struggling to get enough work to give full time work for our staff. There was a recession and things were tight. I decide that, going into the New Year, we needed a slogan that could boost morale and help set the course for the New Year. I had a small banner made and it said. “1990…Make A Difference, Be Different”. That was 29 years ago and I still think we approach doing business much differently than most others. So, upon our 30th anniversary I thought I would dig up the same slogan but, put a more personal twist on it. “BE THE DIFFERENCE YOU WANT TO SEE THIS YEAR” Hopefully this slogan is one that can challenge us on a personal level to stop and think about what we do each day and how we can actually do things differently in our day to day routines. I can promise everyone that if we do, than there will be a difference in what we see at the end of the year…unlike the diet planJ Just a few practical suggestions that will help making us think and act differently.
- Be Kind – Sounds simple yet, when we see news, day in and day out, pitting political opponent against political opponent it is very easy to jump in and get angry and emotional. This spills out into our daily personal lives, whether we notice it or not. So, maybe don’t watch news for a while. Don’t follow those Twitter feeds. Take time to find ways to do and say kind things for those around you. Purposely get in a habit to ignore the negativity and engage in being kind.
- Be Bold – Yes, “Bold”. I mean don’t listen to others complaining about the same old thing every day. Do something “Bold” that challenges you to be actively involved with making a difference. I know we are very busy but, carve up some time to help in a community organization that helps those who are less fortunate. Sure, it takes time and we may feel uncomfortable helping the homeless or handicapped but, it will change our attitudes about how fortunate we really are.
- Save Our Environment – Yes, it absolutely drives me crazy to hear all of the rhetoric about our environment. There are millions of people who do their part and help by recycling as much as they can, using less energy and having better mileage vehicles.
- 40% of all CO2 in America comes from the production of electricity. Just to give you an idea, this is TRILLIONS of pounds of CO2 every year.
- An electric car produces, on average, more CO2 per mile than a car that gets 32 miles per gallon or more (hybrid).
- The average home in America will produce over 13,000 pounds of CO2 per year for it’s energy needs (the state of Florida homes will produce over 117 billion pounds of CO2 for its’ electricity in 2019!!)
Posted by Jim Henderson