2018, In Review
2018, like most of the past 8-10 years, was one filled with change and improvements at the William C Huff Companies. Our commitment to our people, our communities and to our environment is a driving force which propels us ever further into being the company we want others to follow. Here is a glimpse of what was accomplished in 2018.
- Friends of Rookery Bay – We, through collaboration with the Conservancy, the Community Foundation and the United Arts Council, were able to donate a prized, locally decorated, turtle sculpture to the great folks of Rookery Bay Estuary. This helps bring awareness to their undying efforts to preserve a small part of our natural paradise in Collier County.
- NCEF and the Winter Wine Festival – For the third year we have provided logistics support for the world famous annual Naples Winter Wine Festival. Collectively, over the past 3 years, the Wine Festival has generated over $30 million for many local charities who help educate and support underprivileged children in Collier County.
- Friends Of Foster Children Forever – Probably our greatest passion is for children who are born into “at-risk” families. These children, many of whom end up as “wards of the state” in foster care, will have less than a 50% chance of finishing high school. Through direct involvement with tutoring and mentoring these foster children, we are starting to see the pendulum swing and last year we had some of our first high school graduates commit to post high school schools. Friends of Foster Children Forever met more than 1100 individual needs last year. With the opioid crisis at an all-time high, the needs have increased more than 25% in the last year. This organization needs all the support they can get in 2019!!
- CO2 – By generating our own electricity for the 3rd year in a row, we were able to reduce our carbon footprint by 640,000 pounds of CO2… 213,000 of this in 2018 alone.
- Wood – Because our company receives wooden crated items from around the world on a daily basis, we are often overwhelmed with wood. We reuse close to 80% of all the wood that comes into our warehouse by building other wooden crates and also by donating all of the wooden pallets to get reused. This probably totaled well over 250,000 pounds in 2018.
- Cardboard – Our Company also receives literally tons of cardboard boxed-inventory a week. In addition, we provide boxing service to many of our clients, utilizing tons more cardboard and paper. We reuse or recycle almost all of cardboard and this totaled more than 300,000 pounds in 2018.
- Saved 245 pounds of CO2 from polluting our environment.
- Reused 287 pounds of wood.
- Reused/recycled 345 pounds of cardboard.
- And, all of our clients combined had a direct impact in;
- Transforming more than 1100 at-risk children’s lives.
- Supporting 20 full-time staff and their families.
- Helping to build schools and orphanages in Guatemala.
- Provide summer and after school programs for needy children.
Posted by Jim Henderson