6 Tips To Safely Move During a Winter Storm
It’s your moving date and you’ve just heard news of a severe snowstorm in your area. You need to make sure you are adequately prepared and aware of the safety concerns that accompany a winter storm. Here are a few tips for consideration as you plan your move around the storm.
1. Plan - Make sure to consider road closures, traffic issues and snow accumulations before you hit the road yourself.
2. Over Communicate - If you hired William C. Huff, or another moving company, be sure to communicate openly on a plan to reschedule or work around the storm.
3. Monitor Conditions – Stay up to date on weather reports to gauge when the storm will start and the strength it will have. Monitor local advisories so you can make a well-informed decision when heading out. Remember, there is an app for that.
4. Shovel and Use Ample Salt- If you are moving anything yourself, be sure to shovel and salt all walking and moving routes. Slipping and falling while carrying your belongings can lead to catastrophe.
5. Prep Your Vehicle – Have all the essential items ready to go, such as a shovel, snow brush, ice scraper, blankets, and other winter necessities. Also make sure your car is up to date on servicing so it’s running as it should.
6. Have a Safety Plan – In case you are stranded or become lost, know your emergency contact and the plan to seek help if necessary. Be sure the power and heat are turned on at your new home.
Winter storms are often unpredictable, so it’s important to consider these six tips to keep yourself, your family, home items, and your hired help safe. From checking on road closures to keeping emergency contacts on hand, preparation and awareness is key for a successful move during a winter storm. Be safe out there!